Thursday, April 09, 2009

Research Notes for Sarah Ellenor Curtis' family

I was recently contacted by someone looking for information about George Robert Reynolds and his family. The person contacted me through the records I had uploaded to the Ancestry.com site. To make a long story short, we discovered that the Reynolds family (a collateral line) in my records was the same family in her direct ancestry. Turns out that she has been looking for this George Reynolds family for many years and finding my submission was a break-through for her. As a result of the discovery of our common ancestry, today I reviewed the research notes I have on this Reynolds-Curtis family. I have decided to add a summary of the research I have done on this family to this blog. Hopefully, my notes will be of benefit to others who are searching for the George Robert Reynolds and Sarah Ellenor Curtis family. I probably won't get all my notes into this one message in a single sitting. Therefore, come back often to see updates.

In 1992 when I started the research on this family, I knew next to nothing. In fact, the only thing I knew was that Sarah Curtis had married a man name George Reynolds, but I didn't know where. I also didn't know if they had any children, or where they died and were buried. I mentioned in earlier posts to this blog that a photograph someone shared with me was the key to cracking this research block wall. (Please see my other posts for details about this photograph and how it solved the mystery.)

George Robert Reynolds
  • Born 24 Oct 1863 in Grand Rapids, Kent Co., Michigan
  • Married to Sarah Ellenor Curtis on 22 Feb 1883 in Renville Co., Minnesota
  • Died 17 Jun 1948 in Calder, Shoshone Co., Idaho
  • Buried 23 Jun 1948 at the Sunneyside Mausoleum and Cemetery in Long Beach, California
Sarah Ellenor Curtis
  • Born 28 Nov 1856 in Georgetown, Ottawa Co., Michigan
  • Died 6 Oct 1933 in Los Angeles, Los Angeles Co., California
  • Buried at the Sunnyside Mausoleum and Cemetery in Long Beach, California
George and Sarah lived in Preston, Franklin Co., Idaho and later moved to Big Timber, Sweet Grass Co., Montana, where they were enumerated in the 1900 and 1910 census. By the 1920 census, George and Sarah [Curtis] Reynolds had moved to California and were enumerated at San Antonio Township, Monterey Park City, Los Angeles County, California. Just three years prior to Sarah's death, both George and Sarah were listed in the 1930 census living in Montibello, Los Angeles Co., California at 310 North Maple Street. Located at 310 1/2 Maple Street was their daughter and her family, Lelia B. and Thomas P. Muir. (Note that during the early years of research on this family, the census records were more difficult to find. Today, each census record is easily found on Ancestry.com or other websites that have indexed the records.)

I've run out of time ... more details will be added later.

No comments: